HomeBreaking NewsEFCC Dismisses Sahara Reporters’ Claim of Prosecutor Stepping Down in Jesam Michael...

EFCC Dismisses Sahara Reporters’ Claim of Prosecutor Stepping Down in Jesam Michael Fraud Trial

-

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has described as false and irresponsible a report by Sahara Reporters claiming that an EFCC prosecutor stepped down due to pressure to compromise the high-profile fraud case against Jesam Michael, Chief Executive Officer of Afriq Arbitrage System (AAS) Limited.

In a statement issued on Tuesday by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, the anti-graft agency said the report, titled “EFCC Prosecutor Steps Down Amid Pressure To Compromise High-Profile Fraud Case Against International Fraudster Jesam Michael,” was “totally fabricated, unprofessional and in bad taste.”

“As an anti-corruption agency, the EFCC places high premium on the integrity of its operations and workforce,” Oyewale said. “The insinuation that a prosecutor stepped down due to pressure to compromise this case is preposterous and irresponsible.”

Oyewale clarified that one of the prosecutors handling the case, Geraldine Ofulue, recently resigned her appointment with the Commission to pursue other professional engagements, a move he stressed had nothing to do with pressure or compromise.

“To avoid any vacuum and to ensure diligent prosecution, another prosecutor, Emenike Mgbemele—who is a call mate to Ofulue—was assigned to continue with the case,” he explained.

According to the EFCC spokesperson, Ofulue handled the case against Michael meticulously and under the supervision of senior officers. “She followed every process filed before the court diligently, with no pressure or compromise of any form,” Oyewale said, noting that she presented nine witnesses and tendered several exhibits, all of which were admitted by the court.

He added that Mgbemele merely continued from where his predecessor stopped. “So far, the only matter in which Mgbemele appeared was the first defendant’s fourth application for bail, which he opposed in line with the Commission’s position,” Oyewale stated.

Oyewale further disclosed that the counter-affidavit and written address opposing the bail application were prepared and filed by Ofulue before her resignation. “Mgbemele neither added nor subtracted anything from what Ofulue filed. He simply adopted the processes, argued the case, and urged the court to refuse bail because Jesam Michael was a flight risk,” he said.

Questioning the basis of the report, Oyewale asked, “Who was pressuring Ofulue in this matter? Why should an officer’s voluntary resignation to pursue other engagements be misconstrued as ‘stepping down’?”

The EFCC reiterated that Michael and his company allegedly defrauded more than 50,000 investors through what it described as a transnational Ponzi scheme of “disturbing proportion.”

“The Commission’s efforts to bring him to book and dismantle all his shenanigans should be applauded by all well-meaning news portals,” Oyewale said. “While the EFCC will not be deterred in the pursuit of its mandate, it will not hesitate to take appropriate legal action against any entity or individual employing blackmail and deliberate misrepresentation to attack the Commission or its officers.”

SUPPORT US

At Priceless Media Publishing Nig. Ltd /Securitynewsalert.com, we are steadfast in our commitment to independent journalism: reporting that is fearless, impartial, and free from the interference of powerful personalities, politicians and government interests.

Without corporate sponsorships or political affiliations, our ability to investigate freely rests in the hands of the people we serve—you!

Every donation helps us expose the truth, amplify silenced voices, and hold power accountable.
Stand with us because journalism should serve the people, not power.

• Account Name: PRICELESS MEDIA PUBLISHING NIG. LTD
• Account Number: 1943445259
• Bank Name: ACCESS Bank

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

LATEST POSTS

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Power Fraud:  FEC Directed Agunloye to Withdraw Award of Contract-Witness

 The Third Prosecuting Witness, PW3, Umar Hussein Babangida in the ongoing trial of former Minister of Power and Steel, Olu Agunloye, on Tuesday, February 17, 2026 restated...

Alleged ₦10b Kogi Fraud:  EFCC Never Threatened Ali Bello, Co-defendant with Electric Chair-Witness

  The Second Prosecution Witness, PW2, Yazid Bawa, in the trial-within-trial arising from the prosecution of Ali Bello, nephew of former Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Adoza...

Kano Court Sentences Bank Staff to Five Years for ₦22.3m Investment Fraud

 Justice S.M. Shuaibu of the Federal High Court sitting in Kano has sentenced Janet Theophilus Danjuma, a staff member of Taj Bank Limited, to five...

El-Rufai: CAPI Calls For Independent International Probe Into Disappearance of Dadiyata 

The Coalition Against Impunity (CAPI) has called for an independent international probe into the 2019 disappearance of social media activist Abubakar Idris, popularly known as...

Follow us

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Most Popular

spot_img