HomeBreaking NewsN1.65bn & $2.09m Fraud:  Appeal Court Upholds Conviction of Ex- Army General,   Umar...

N1.65bn & $2.09m Fraud:  Appeal Court Upholds Conviction of Ex- Army General,   Umar Mohammed

-

A three-member panel of Justices of the Court of Appeal,  Justice Abba Mohammed, Okon Abang and Eberechi Nyesom have affirmed the conviction and sentence of former Group Managing Director of Nigerian Army Properties Limited (NAPL), Maj.-Gen. Umar Mohammed, for offences bordering on theft and misappropriation of company funds.

In a unanimous ruling, the appellate court dismissed Mohammed’s appeal challenging the authority of the Nigerian Army’s Special Court Martial and the legitimacy of its decision. The Court Martial had, on October 10, 2023, convicted him for offences of stealing and criminal misappropriation of funds belonging to NAPL.

Securitynewsalert.com heard that the court also sentenced him to years of imprisonment and ordered him to refund $2,099,700  and N1.65 billion to the NAPL.

Dissatisfied with the decision of the Court Martial,  he approached the appellate court,  claiming that the conviction was not supported by credible and sufficient evidence.

  Delivering judgment on Monday,   the Court of Appeal affirmed the ruling of the Special Court Martial, stressing that it was justified in dismissing the former general’s defence,  describing it as inconsistent and unreliable.

The appellate court addressed contradictions in Mohammed’s testimony, particularly his claim that NAPL never operated berthing services, which contradicted documentary records where he indicated that the company actually engaged in such operations. To this end,  the Court of Appeal upheld the conviction and sentence imposed by the Special Court Martial on all counts except those related to forgery.

  In another development,  in August 2025, Justice Dehinde Dipeolu of the Federal High Court in Lagos ordered the final forfeiture of shares valued at more than N5 billion traced to Mohammed and a businessman, Kayode Filani.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), had filed an application to the effect that 245,568,137 shares were acquired with proceeds of unlawful activities carried out during Mohammed’s time as head of the army’s property company.

EFCC counsel, Hanatu Kofanaisa, told the court that the EFCC had satisfied all legal conditions required for final forfeiture, including the mandatory publication in newspapers, without any objections being raised.  Besides, she further told the court that a Special Court Martial had earlier convicted Mohammed on 14 out of 18 counts bordering on stealing and related offences.

 Ruling on the application,  Justice Dipeolu held that the EFCC had sufficiently proved its case and ordered that the shares be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government in favour of NAPL.

SUPPORT US

At Priceless Media Publishing Nig. Ltd /Securitynewsalert.com, we are steadfast in our commitment to independent journalism: reporting that is fearless, impartial, and free from the interference of powerful personalities, politicians and government interests.

Without corporate sponsorships or political affiliations, our ability to investigate freely rests in the hands of the people we serve—you!

Every donation helps us expose the truth, amplify silenced voices, and hold power accountable.
Stand with us because journalism should serve the people, not power.

• Account Name: PRICELESS MEDIA PUBLISHING NIG. LTD
• Account Number: 1943445259
• Bank Name: ACCESS Bank

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

LATEST POSTS

Police Seize Illicit Drugs Worth ₦7.8bn in Lagos Raid, Arrest Suspects

...Suspect allegedly offered ₦500m bribe to halt operation, offer rejected and documented  Operatives of Zone 2 Command of the Nigeria Police Force have dismantled what authorities...

NDLEA intercepts Chinese grandma with large illicit drug consignment +VIDEO

 A 63-year-old Chinese grandma, Ting Hung Kiong, has been arrested by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) following her attempt to smuggle...

Kidnap Threat Letters Cause Fear in Ogun Communities as Hunters Seek Government Support

Residents of communities in Odeda Local Government Area of Ogun State are expressing concern following reports that suspected kidnappers have allegedly sent threat letters warning...

Police officer arrested after viral video threatening to shoot civilians who film him

 The Anambra State Police Command has arrested a serving officer after a video of him threatening to shoot and kill any civilian who filmed him...

Follow us

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Most Popular

spot_img