HomeBreaking NewsMissing Christian Teen Allegedly Held by Kano Hisbah Amid Forced Conversion Fears

Missing Christian Teen Allegedly Held by Kano Hisbah Amid Forced Conversion Fears

-

A 15-year-old Christian girl reported missing since December 1 is allegedly being held by the Kano State Hisbah Board, a Muslim police force tasked with enforcing Islamic law, sparking fears of a possible forced conversion to Islam, family members and community leaders have said.

The girl, identified as Ummi Tambaya, is a native of Kadafa Bari District in Rogo Local Government Area of Kano State. According to her family and pastor, she was traced to a Hisbah post in Rogo after weeks of searching.

Pastor Kabiru Usman told Sahara Reporters that he discovered Ummi was under the custody of the Hisbah commander in Rogo, Malam Sani, who allegedly claimed the teenager wished to convert to Islam.

“After a long search and relentless efforts, we discovered the girl has been kept under the custody of the Hisbah commander of Rogo, Malam Sani, who said she wants to convert to Islam,” Usman said.

Usman alleged that efforts by the Divisional Police Officer in Rogo, Suleiman Ibrahim, and the district head of the area, Umar Abdulkadir, to secure Ummi’s release were unsuccessful, as the Hisbah commander reportedly refused to hand her over.

He further accused the local office of the Department of State Services (DSS) of failing to intervene. According to Usman, an officer allegedly demanded ₦20,000 for fuel, claiming it was needed to bring officers from the DSS headquarters, but no action followed.

“We are appealing to relevant authorities to come to our aid,” Usman said. “The family of Ummi is traumatised. We don’t know her present condition, and we are afraid the culprits will escape justice. We have had about five similar cases of forceful conversions of girls in this area.”

Usman also claimed the Hisbah commander initially told him that Ummi had been transferred to the custody of “human rights people,” a claim he described as deceptive.

“The Hisbah commander is fully aware of her whereabouts,” he said. “Let those concerned come to our aid.”

According to Usman, individuals close to the Hisbah commander disclosed the identities of those allegedly involved in Ummi’s abduction, naming Abba Sheshu, Mansir Surajo, and Tasiu Bello. He alleged that the girl was held for about a month, denied medical attention despite having a mental health condition, and later taken to the Hisbah commander.

Ummi’s family also alleged that a young Muslim man who had persistently sought to marry her, despite repeated refusals, arranged her abduction. A relative, Shamsu Tambaya, told Sahara Reporters that the man exerted influence over Ummi, isolating her from her family.

Tambaya said the abductors moved Ummi between several locations before eventually taking her to the Hisbah commander.

“Sani later came and told us that the girl was in a place better than our own house,” Tambaya said.

He denied claims that Ummi had reported her family to a human rights organisation.

“And God is my witness, this girl has never even known what human rights are,” he said.

The family reported the case to the police in Rogo and later to the Kano State Police Headquarters. However, they alleged that after demands for “transport fare” were made, no further action was taken.

Tambaya emphasised that Ummi is underage and not legally qualified to change her religion, adding that she also has a mental health condition. He appealed to the government to intervene and ensure her safe return.

“If the government will look into this matter for us, let them look into it and bring our daughter back to us,” he said.

When contacted by Sahara Reporters, Hisbah commander Malam Sani requested the name of the complainant and, upon learning it was Ummi’s family, declined to provide details. He reportedly insisted that the reporter visit his office in Kano for further information.

The case has drawn renewed attention to allegations of forced religious conversions and the treatment of minors in parts of northern Nigeria.

Source: Morning Star News

SUPPORT US

At Priceless Media Publishing Nig. Ltd /Securitynewsalert.com, we are steadfast in our commitment to independent journalism: reporting that is fearless, impartial, and free from the interference of powerful personalities, politicians and government interests.

Without corporate sponsorships or political affiliations, our ability to investigate freely rests in the hands of the people we serve—you!

Every donation helps us expose the truth, amplify silenced voices, and hold power accountable.
Stand with us because journalism should serve the people, not power.

• Account Name: PRICELESS MEDIA PUBLISHING NIG. LTD
• Account Number: 1943445259
• Bank Name: ACCESS Bank

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

LATEST POSTS

How Nigerian Police Smashed a West African Trafficking Ring, Rescued 30 Victims

The Nigeria Police Force has dismantled a major transnational human trafficking and fraud syndicate operating within the Federal Capital Territory and neighbouring communities, rescuing 30...

IGP Tunji Disu to Grace FCT NUJ Lecture as Special Guest of Honour

By Odita SundayThe Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun’s administration may have continued to push reforms within the Nigeria Police Force, but one officer whose impact...

EFCC Hands Over Recovered N837million to Katsina State Governor

 The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Kano Zonal Directorate, on  Monday,  May 18, 2026, officially handed over recovered monetary exhibits totalling ₦837,485,389.00 to the...

ENF Condemns Alleged DSS Harassment Over Nursing School Controversy

The Elegant Nurses Forum (ENF) has condemned the alleged harassment and intimidation of Mrs Ifeoma Nwaogaranya and Comrade Francis Nwapa following their criticism of alleged...

Follow us

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Most Popular

spot_img