The Oyo State Police Command has dismissed reports of an alleged bandit attack in Ogbomoso and adjoining communities, describing the incident as a false alarm fuelled by misinformation and unverified claims.
According to the Command, panic spread across parts of Ogbomoso and nearby communities, including Ajaawa Town, on Monday after rumours circulated that armed bandits had invaded the area and were sighted near Are-Ago High School, Ogbomoso.
In response to the reports, the police said surveillance and patrol teams were immediately deployed to the area to verify the claims and prevent any possible breakdown of law and order.
Investigations conducted by the police revealed that the alarm began after some students reportedly claimed that unfamiliar individuals had been seen behind the school fence, raising concerns among teachers and students.
Police said officers who arrived at the school met with the principal, Mrs. Akanbi Ruth, who explained the source of the concern.
Further findings showed that the individuals in question included an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) attached to the Kwara State Command in Ilorin and two civilians travelling in a Toyota Venza SUV.
According to the police, the individuals explained that they had visited the female occupant of the vehicle to celebrate her birthday. Authorities also contacted relevant NSCDC officials in Ogbomoso to verify the identity and status of the officer involved.
The Command added that an altercation reportedly occurred between some teachers and the visitors, a development that heightened suspicion within the school premises and triggered the spread of unverified information among students and residents.
“As a result, some students reportedly circulated unverified claims to neighbouring schools and surrounding communities, escalating panic and tension before the facts of the incident were established,” the statement said.
The police stressed that there was no bandit attack, invasion, or security breach in Ogbomoso, Ajaawa, or the surrounding communities.
To reassure residents, the Command said visibility policing and patrol activities had been intensified in the affected areas, while stakeholders had been engaged to restore public confidence.
The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, CP Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbemiga, urged residents to remain calm and continue cooperating with security agencies through the prompt sharing of credible information.
The police also warned against the deliberate spread of fake news and unverified security reports, noting that individuals found spreading false information capable of inciting panic or public disorder would face prosecution under the law.
Authorities confirmed that normal academic, commercial and social activities have since resumed across the affected communities. #Securitynewsalert.com



