HomeBreaking NewsAmnesty International Welcomes Police Probe into Dadiyata’s Disappearance

Amnesty International Welcomes Police Probe into Dadiyata’s Disappearance

-

Human rights group, Amnesty International, has welcomed the directive issued by the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, ordering an investigation into the enforced disappearance of government critic Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata.

The directive, issued on May 8, 2026, ordered a probe into the circumstances surrounding Dadiyata’s disappearance following petitions alleging the involvement of serving police officers in the case.

According to Amnesty International, the authorities must ensure that the investigation is “prompt, impartial, transparent, effective, and capable of establishing the full circumstances surrounding Dadiyata’s enforced disappearance.”

The organisation noted that consistent eyewitness accounts from Dadiyata’s wife indicated that he was abducted by two armed men who covered their faces.

Dadiyata was reportedly abducted from his residence in Barnawa, Kaduna State, in August 2019, and his whereabouts have remained unknown since then.

Amnesty International said it had remained at the forefront of calls for “truth, justice, and accountability” since the incident, adding that Dadiyata’s family, friends, and supporters had continued to demand answers about his fate for nearly seven years.

The organisation also urged authorities to guarantee the independence of the investigation and protect all individuals connected to the case from intimidation or reprisals.

It further called on the authorities to make the findings of the inquiry public and ensure that anyone found culpable, regardless of rank or position, is prosecuted in proceedings that meet international fair trial standards.

Amnesty International also urged the Nigerian government to address the broader pattern of enforced disappearances in the country and ensure that victims and their families have access to truth, justice, and effective remedies. #Securitynewsalert.com

 

SUPPORT US

At Priceless Media Publishing Nig. Ltd /Securitynewsalert.com, we are steadfast in our commitment to independent journalism: reporting that is fearless, impartial, and free from the interference of powerful personalities, politicians and government interests.

Without corporate sponsorships or political affiliations, our ability to investigate freely rests in the hands of the people we serve—you!

Every donation helps us expose the truth, amplify silenced voices, and hold power accountable.
Stand with us because journalism should serve the people, not power.

• Account Name: PRICELESS MEDIA PUBLISHING NIG. LTD
• Account Number: 1943445259
• Bank Name: ACCESS Bank

LATEST POSTS

IGP Disu Receives ICAN President, Seeks Stronger Partnership on Forensic Accounting and Financial Crime

The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu,  on Friday received the President and Chairman of Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria...

‘Why Tinubu Did Not Allow Manipulation of Osun Election’ – Veteran Crime Journalist

 A veteran security reporter, Mr Folorunsho Atta, has said that contrary to widespread fears before and during last Saturday's Osun State governorship election that President...

IGP Disu Charges Nigerian Youths to Reject Political Violence, Digital Thuggery at Abuja Security Dialogue

The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu,  today participated in the opening day of the National Youth Leadership and Security Dialogue in Abuja, marking...

 Military Commander Calls for Stronger Media Partnership in Counter-Terrorism Fight

The Theatre Commander of Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Major General WB Idris, has urged closer collaboration between the military and the...

Follow us

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
spot_img

Most Popular

spot_img