HomeBreaking NewsDSS Denies Arresting Prof Okey Ndibe, Says Airport Encounter Was Routine Watch-List...

DSS Denies Arresting Prof Okey Ndibe, Says Airport Encounter Was Routine Watch-List Review

-

 

The Department of State Services (DSS) on Monday denied arresting or detaining writer and professor Okey Ndibe at Murtala Muhammed International Airport on June 1, saying the encounter was part of a routine review of old watch-list entries, some dating back to the military era.

In a statement signed by Deputy Director of Public Relations Favour Dozie, the agency said Prof Ndibe has been on its watch-list since January 29, 2013, but that his case had already been reviewed and downgraded ahead of final delisting.

“The interface with him at the airport was geared towards the final delisting of his details,” the statement read, adding that he “was cleared and escorted” after barely an hour.

The DSS said its current Director-General, upon assuming office, ordered a review of legacy Watch-List Actions (WLAs) to prevent citizens from being “unduly embarrassed” by outdated entries. The agency said many Nigerians, including journalists, have benefited from the process since the current management took over.

As a recent example, the DSS cited the case of Lanre Arogundade, Executive Director of the International Press Centre, whose delisting was approved in May 2025 after more than a decade on the watch-list.

The agency also pointed to Prof Ndibe’s own Facebook post following the incident, noting that he referenced the “professional, courteous and decorous conduct” of DSS operatives — a detail the statement used to push back against any characterisation of the encounter as an arrest or harassment.

The DSS said the watch-list hygiene process would continue regardless of formal requests, but encouraged citizens who believe they are affected by an active WLA to report to the National Headquarters to facilitate review. #Securitynewsalert.com

#DSS #ProfOkeyNdibe #AirportEncounter  #Watch-List Review

SUPPORT US

At Priceless Media Publishing Nig. Ltd /Securitynewsalert.com, we are steadfast in our commitment to independent journalism: reporting that is fearless, impartial, and free from the interference of powerful personalities, politicians and government interests.

Without corporate sponsorships or political affiliations, our ability to investigate freely rests in the hands of the people we serve—you!

Every donation helps us expose the truth, amplify silenced voices, and hold power accountable.
Stand with us because journalism should serve the people, not power.

• Account Name: PRICELESS MEDIA PUBLISHING NIG. LTD
• Account Number: 1943445259
• Bank Name: ACCESS Bank

LATEST POSTS

Air Strikes Deal Heavy Blow to Terrorist Networks in Borno State

 The Joint Task Force North East, Operation HADIN KAI (OPHK), has announced a series of successful intelligence-led precision strikes against terrorist concentrations across Borno State...

Parenting, Not Policing, Is Key to Building Discipline — IGP Disu

The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, has called on parents to take primary responsibility for instilling discipline and good character in their children,...

#FENRAD Launches ‘Civic Spaces, Security and the People’ Radio Programme in Abia

The Foundation for Environmental Rights, Advocacy and Development (FENRAD) Nigeria has launched a new radio programme, “Civic Spaces, Security and the People,” aimed at promoting...

IGP Disu Receives ICAN President, Seeks Stronger Partnership on Forensic Accounting and Financial Crime

The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu,  on Friday received the President and Chairman of Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria...

Follow us

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
spot_img

Most Popular

spot_img