…Suspect allegedly offered ₦500m bribe to halt operation, offer rejected and documented
Operatives of Zone 2 Command of the Nigeria Police Force have dismantled what authorities described as a major drug trafficking network in Lagos, seizing hundreds of bags of suspected Canadian Loud with an estimated street value of ₦7.8 billion.
The joint operation, involving the Special Protection Unit (SPU) and divisional police detectives, was carried out at an apartment inside an estate in Mende, Maryland, following months of surveillance on the alleged kingpin, Eke Henry Ifeanyi, 41, who was among those arrested.
Addressing journalists at the scene on Saturday, Assistant Inspector-General of Police Olohundare Jimoh said operatives had been watching the suspect for several months before moving in on May 19.
“The command had mounted surveillance on the suspect for several months before his arrest,” AIG Jimoh told reporters, adding that the operation was coordinated with technical expertise and guidance from Inspector-General of Police Olatunji Disu.
In a dramatic twist, AIG Jimoh revealed that during the raid, Ifeanyi allegedly attempted to bribe the SPU commander with ₦500 million to stand down and allow him to contact associates to move the consignment.
“The offer was rejected outright, and the commander immediately documented the attempt for further investigation,” AIG Jimoh said.
The AIG said the successful operation demonstrated the effectiveness of IGP Disu’s grassroots policing strategy, which embeds specialised units within joint operations at the divisional level — combining rapid containment, intelligence-led action, and professional conduct standards.
Reacting to the development, IGP Disu said the outcome vindicated his administration’s personnel redeployment strategy across Lagos and Ogun states.
“Policing must be close to the people, and our specialised units must work side by side with divisional teams on the ground,” IGP Disu said. “The professionalism shown by the SPU commander in rejecting a ₦500 million bribe and following due procedure is the standard we expect. It shows that when you put your best foot forward at the grassroots, you get results and restore public trust.”
The IGP added that his administration “will continue to reward integrity and hold officers accountable to the same standard.”
All exhibits recovered during the raid have been documented and are to be tendered in court. The suspects remain in custody as investigators work to identify other members of the trafficking network. #Securitynewsalert.com



