HomeNewsHow We Carried Out Coordinated Operations To Rescue Oyo Schoolchildren, Teachers —...

How We Carried Out Coordinated Operations To Rescue Oyo Schoolchildren, Teachers — Army

-

 

By Juliana Francis

Kidnapped pupils and teachers abducted from Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State have been rescued following weeks of intelligence-led operations in the Old Oyo National Park forest and other parts of the country, the Nigerian Army has said.

The Acting Deputy Director, 2 Division Army Public Relations, Lieutenant Colonel Danjuma Jonah Danjuma, described the operation as “surgical, intense and well coordinated,” while sharing details of how the victims were freed.

According to Jonah, troops led by the General Officer Commanding 2 Division, Nigerian Army, Ibadan, Major General C.R. Nnebeife, rescued a total of 44 pupils and teachers on July 10, 2026.

The children and their teachers had been abducted by terrorists on May 15, 2026.

The rescue operation, which spanned more than a month, involved collaboration between the Nigerian Army and special units from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), particularly the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), the Defence Headquarters, Special Forces elements from the Army, Navy and Air Force, the Nigeria Police, the Department of State Services (DSS), the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, as well as local vigilantes, hunters and Amotekun operatives.

The Army said the operation focused on identifying the terrorist kingpins who masterminded the kidnapping, and on dismantling their networks, logistics links, informants and hideouts within the Old Oyo National Park forest in Oyo State.

Multiple arrests were made in Oyo State and other parts of the country during the operation, disorganising the terrorist group and putting it under sustained pressure.

The Army said this pressure ultimately forced the group to unconditionally release the pupils and their teachers. It added that further operations would still be carried out.

The military said the operation was carefully planned to avoid collateral damage and to ensure the safe rescue of the children and teachers, though it disclosed that there were some casualties among security forces.

The rescued pupils and teachers are currently receiving medical attention at an undisclosed hospital and will be handed over to the Oyo State Government in due course to be reunited with their families.

The GOC, 2 Division, on behalf of all participating agencies, thanked President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his strategic guidance and support, which he said contributed to the success of the operation. He also commended the Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, and residents of the state for their continued support to security agencies during the period.

Further appreciation was extended to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu; the Minister of Defence; the Chief of Defence Staff; the Chief of Army Staff; other service chiefs; the Inspector-General of Police; and the Directors-General of the DSS and NIA, among other security agency heads, for their support in ensuring seamless coordination throughout the operation.

The Army also thanked media houses and the Nigerian public for their support and confidence in the country’s security architecture, urging citizens to remain vigilant and continue providing timely, credible information to assist security agencies in safeguarding lives and property across the country. #Securitynewsalert.com

SUPPORT US

At Priceless Media Publishing Nig. Ltd /Securitynewsalert.com, we are steadfast in our commitment to independent journalism: reporting that is fearless, impartial, and free from the interference of powerful personalities, politicians and government interests.

Without corporate sponsorships or political affiliations, our ability to investigate freely rests in the hands of the people we serve—you!

Every donation helps us expose the truth, amplify silenced voices, and hold power accountable.
Stand with us because journalism should serve the people, not power.

• Account Name: PRICELESS MEDIA PUBLISHING NIG. LTD
• Account Number: 1943445259
• Bank Name: ACCESS Bank

LATEST POSTS

Series 4: Aunt Recalls How Niece Died After Ingesting Drugs to Abort Foetus

 By Juliana FrancisTears filled Modinat’s eyes as she recalled the painful loss of her niece, 28‑year‑old Bukola, who died last August from complications of an...

Kogi Police Dislodge Criminal Elements in Joint Bush Clearance Operation Along Kabba/Bunu-Obajana-Lokoja Axis

The Kogi State Police Command has intensified its bush clearance operations, conducting a joint security sweep that dislodged suspected criminal elements from forest hideouts linking...

Ogun Police Commemorates 2026 International Youth Day With Statewide Walkathon

 The Ogun State Police Command, under the leadership of Commissioner of Police CP Bode Ojajuni, PSC, FCSS, MNIPR, on Sunday commemorated the 2026 International Youth...

Yobe Governor, LCBCGF Chairman Pledges Maximum Support to MNJTF, Calls for More Troops on Lake Chad Islands

 The Governor of Yobe State and Chairman of the Lake Chad Basin Commission Governors' Forum (LCBCGF), Mai Mala Buni, has pledged his "maximum support" to...

Follow us

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
spot_img

Most Popular

spot_img